In my opinion simple things are usually the best when cooking. As long as we use good, quality ingredients we don’t need to over-complicate things or use lots of different ingredients to make something tasty, healthy and nutritious. This dish was made as I went, no real preparation or recipe were used. I just checked my fridge and the pantry to see what I had in there and also checked with my stomach to see what I feel like. I felt like something light, fresh and healthy.
– Whole lettuce leaves (for boats)
– 2 stalks celery
– 1 tomato
– 1/2 red capsicum
– 1 cucumber
– corn kernels
– handful of spinach
– juice of 1/2 lemon
– handful of basil
– 1 frech red chilli
– medium can of tuna in olive oil (try and get the best one you can afford and if possible dolphin friendly :))
– 3 eggs (organic or free-range)
1. Boil the eggs for about 5 minutes to get the yolk oozy but not too runny or hard. This will depend on the size of the eggs, I usually use XL. Set aside and let cool.
2. Chop celery, cucumber, tomato, avocado, capsicum, spinach and chilli and mix all together in a large bowl. Add corn. Drain the tuna and mix with the vegetables, add salt, pepper, lemon juice and basil.
3. Wash lettuce leaves and place them on a big plate. Fill the “lettuce boats” with the tuna mixture.
4. Carefully peel the boiled eggs and cut them in half then place on a plate next to the tuna boats.
This food is perfect for summer but I can eat it anytime really. It’s a great picnic food too, just pack the lettuce leaves, tuna mixture and eggs separately and assemble on a picnic bench or blanket.
Let me know what you think 🙂